Income Shares Legislation Update and Status re Charts
- SB0069. Status:
- 100th Ill. Gen. Assem., Senate Bill 0069 (introduced 1/1/17 and arrived in House 4/5/17).
Illinois divorce lawyers handling child support cases are anxiously awaiting the progress and passage of the so called “trailer bill” to the income shares legislation. Lawyers are actively being trained regarding the new legislation with Attorney Stephanie Kasten of the Gitlin Law Firm having chaired a seminar this April for the McHenry County Bar Association focused on the seminar and Attorneys Gitlin and Kasten presenting both in Cook County and down-state regarding the impact of the income shares legislation on child support issues in Illinois.
Here is the latest:
- See my Blog post providing a copy of the trailer bill.
- We had been assured that this trailer bill would pass and be enacted into law prior to the effective date of the currently enacted statute, i.e., by July 1, 2017. For a month the bill was stalled in the Senate, i.e., SB 69.
- Finally, on April 5, 2017, the trailer bill passed the Senate and is now in the House!
- As indicated in my post regarding the status of my book: Gitlin on Divorce, I had assumed passage of SB 69 for the update of the book because the manuscript was due March 15th. My goal was and remains that the book update which will be available in its 4th edition in June will contain the currently then effective law consistent with the trailer bill. This seems more and more likely.
- We had been informed that we have would have charts not less than 60 days in advance of the effective date of the legislation. As of April 19, 2017, we finally have the charts. Accordingly, we now know with specificity what the income shares legislation will be numerically. Obviously, this will have a huge effect on all child support issues in Illinois — both now and for years in the future.
Gunnar J. Gitlin
The Gitlin Law Firm, P.C.
663 East Calhoun Street
Woodstock, IL 60098