Since graduating from law school in 2000, Stephanie A. Kasten has concentrated her practice in family law. Before joining The Gitlin Law Firm, Attorney Kasten worked for a well known McHenry County law firm. In May 1997 she received her Bachelor of Arts degree in English in the top of her class from the prestigious Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa. She went on to receive her JD with honors of cum laude from Northern Illinois University in May 2000.
Attorney Kasten is a Fellow of the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. Attorney Kasten is also a Fellow of the prestigious organization: the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Attorney Kasten’s practice includes Boone County since her previous practice involved significant work in Boone County.
She has a lifelong talent in music and volunteers her time, including in leadership roles, with a local unit of The Boy Scouts of America.
Leading Lawyers Network: Attorney Kasten was selected by Leading Lawyers Network in 2015 by survey of peers of Illinois’ lawyers based upon experience, reputation and legal skills in the area of Family Law. Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Awards and Recognitions
- Selected by Leading Lawyers in 2015
- Fellow: American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2013
- Law Review Editor 1999-2000
- Law Review Member 1998-2000
- Chicago Bar Association Moot Court Competition, Best Brief, 1999
- NIU Moot Court Competition Oral Arguments, Best Brief, 1999
- NIU Moot Court Competition Oral Arguments, Second Place, 1999
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education: “Starting Points – Divorce Boot Camp” on the topics of the costs of divorce and custody – February 2007 and February 2008
- McHenry County Bar Association, Family Law Section on case law updates – 2005 to 2008
- National Business Institute: “Handling Custody, Visitation and Support Issues in Divorce” July 31, 2006
- National Business Institute: “Complex Issues in Divorce for the Illinois Practitioner,” January 19, 2005
- National Business Institute: “Handling Illinois Divorce Cases from Start to Finish.” October 2004
- Former President, McHenry County Bar Association, Family Law section
- Former Vice President, McHenry County Bar Association, Family Law section
- “The Costs of Divorce: Support, Maintenance, and Other Fiscal Impacts,” section of IICLE manual, 2015, 2010, 2007 and 2008
- “What About Children? Custody and Visitation,” section of IICLE manual, 2010, 2007 and 2008
- “Child Support Determinants and Procedure,” section of NBI manual, 2010
- “Child Support After the Initial Determinations,” section of NBI manual, 2010
- “Initial Interviews and Pleadings,” section of NBI paralegal manual, 2009
- “New Supreme Court Rules for Custody Cases – An Overview,” McHenry County Bar Association Journal, 2006
- “Handling Custody, Visitation and Support Issues in Divorce,” section of NBI manual 2006
- “Complex Issues in Divorce for the Illinois Practitioner,” section of NBI manual 2005
- “Handling Illinois Divorce Cases from Start to Finish,” section of NBI manual 2004
- “Social Security and Maintenance: In What Situations is Consideration of Social Security Benefits Appropriate?” IICLE Manual, June 2013
- “Qualified Domestic Relations Orders: How to Use QDROs to Enforce Child Support and Maintenance Obligations,” IICLE Manual, June 2013
- Certified Mediator, Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin and Mediation Training and Consultation Institute, 2007
- Child Representative/Guardian ad Litem Training, 2007
- Trained Collaborative Lawyer through Collaborative Practice – Silicon Valley presented by the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois, 2006