Since graduating from law school in 2000, Stephanie A. Kasten has concentrated her practice in family law. Before joining The Gitlin Law Firm, Attorney Kasten worked for a well known McHenry County law firm. In 1997, Attorney Kasten received her Bachelor of Arts degree in English at the top of her class from the prestigious Grinnell College. She went on to receive her JD with honors of cum laude from Northern Illinois University in 2000.
Attorney Kasten is a Fellow of the Collaborative Divorce Illinois and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. Attorney Kasten is also a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Becoming a fellow requires among other things passing a detailed examination addressing advanced family law issues. Her firm, The Gitlin Law Firm, is listed in Best Law Firm’s in America.
Attorney Kasten’s practice includes Boone County since she her previous firm did significant work in Boone County.
She has a lifelong talent in music and volunteers her time, including in leadership roles, with a local unit of The Boy Scouts of America.
Leading Lawyers Network and Best Lawyers in America: Attorney Kasten was selected by Leading Lawyers Network in 2015 by survey of peers of Illinois’ lawyers based upon experience, reputation and legal skills in the area of Family Law by Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Awards and Recognitions
- Selected by Best Lawyers in America, 2023
- Selected by Leading Lawyers every year since 2015
- Fellow: American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, since 2013
- Law Review Editor 1999-2000 and Law Review Member 1998-2000
- Chicago Bar Association Moot Court Competition, Best Brief, 1999
- NIU Moot Court Competition Oral Arguments, Best Brief, 1999
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) Presentation for Child Support and Maintenance: 7th Biannual Master Teacher Seminar, “Maintenance Termination and Conjugal Cohabitation: An Update of Statutory and Case Law–Proving It Ethically,” September 2019.
- National Business Institute, Divorce Law Boot Camp, “Custody, Visitation and Support: A Practical Guide,” November 2017.
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers – Illinois Chapter (AAML) Annual Columbus Day Seminar for Experienced Matrimonial Lawyers, “Multi-Family Adjustments: Equal Seats at the Table,” October 2017.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) Presentation for Child Support and Maintenance, What’s on the Horizon?: Income Shares and the Future of Maintenance and Child Support, May and June 2017. “Income Shares: Shared Parenting Formula.”
- Illinois Family Support Enforcement Association, Presentation on Income Shares: Child Support Changes and Calculations, June 2017
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) Presentations for Program Exclusively on Child Support and Maintenance, June 2013:
• “Social Security and Maintenance: In What Situations is Consideration of Social Security Benefits Appropriate?”
• “Qualified Domestic Relations Orders: How to Use QDROs to Enforce Child Support and Maintenance Obligations”
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education: “Starting Points – Divorce Boot Camp” on the topics of the costs of divorce and custody – February 2015, March 2010, February 2008, and February 2007
- National Business Institute “QDROs and Other Legal Tactics to Ensure Your Client’s Financial Future” – October 2010.
- National Business Institute “Financial and Case Management for the Divorce Paralegal” – May 2009.
- McHenry County Bar Association, Family Law Section on case law updates – 2005 to 2008
- National Business Institute: “Handling Custody, Visitation and Support Issues in Divorce” July 31, 2006
- National Business Institute: “Complex Issues in Divorce for the Illinois Practitioner,” January 19, 2005
- National Business Institute: “Handling Illinois Divorce Cases from Start to Finish.” October 2004
- Former President, McHenry County Bar Association, Family Law section
- Former Vice President, McHenry County Bar Association, Family Law section
- “The Costs of Divorce: Support, Maintenance, and Other Fiscal Impacts,” section of IICLE manual, 2015, 2010, 2007 and 2008
- “What About Children? Custody and Visitation,” section of IICLE manual, 2010, 2007 and 2008
- “Child Support Determinants and Procedure,” section of NBI manual, 2010
- “Child Support After the Initial Determinations,” section of NBI manual, 2010
- “Initial Interviews and Pleadings,” section of NBI paralegal manual, 2009
- “New Supreme Court Rules for Custody Cases – An Overview,” McHenry County Bar Association Journal, 2006
- “Handling Custody, Visitation and Support Issues in Divorce,” section of NBI manual 2006
- “Complex Issues in Divorce for the Illinois Practitioner,” section of NBI manual 2005
- “Handling Illinois Divorce Cases from Start to Finish,” section of NBI manual 2004
- “Social Security and Maintenance: In What Situations is Consideration of Social Security Benefits Appropriate?” IICLE Manual, June 2013
- “Qualified Domestic Relations Orders: How to Use QDROs to Enforce Child Support and Maintenance Obligations,” IICLE Manual, June 2013
- Certified Mediator, Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin and Mediation Training and Consultation Institute, 2007
- Child Representative/Guardian ad Litem Training, 2007
- Trained Collaborative Lawyer through Collaborative Practice – Silicon Valley presented by the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois, 2006